Friday, September 19, 2008

Day 3 - Strasbourg - Paris


I was so tired last night, I fell asleep pretty much as soon as I finished typing the last sentence (about 6pm).   I slept until 2am, and was up for about 1.5 hours, then back to sleep until 7a.m.  I've made up for all the sleep I lost reloading iTunes before my trip.

I took a walk to the Opera house, it turns out that I was standing right next to it during one of my lost moments yesterday.  Leading up to the Opera house was a farmers market with not only produce, flowers and meats, but clothing.  I bought a "pashmina" scarf for 5euro.  Do I think it is cashmere and silk?  No, but it is so cold here, I had to buy something or else wear out my black scarf I threw in at the last minute.  I hope it's not something that makes me break out in a rash. 

The train back to Paris was lovely, lots of open fields and a few cows.  Upon arriving in Paris, I checked my bag into a luggage locker and took the Metro to the Bastille.

After buying a ticket to see Rigoletto October 2, I walked to the Pere Lachaisse cemetery, probably about a mile (it looked shorter on the map.)  The cemetery is crowded with graves, but also lined with trees.  I found Rossini's grave, then set out to find Oscar Wilde's.  I wandered and had two people try to help me and finally found it after someone gave me their map.  It's covered with lipstick kisses and some grafitti (I did not kiss the grave).  As I was leaving, a swarm of people arrived, one with a magic marker.  I then walked past memorials to the victims of Dachau, Auschwitz and other concentration camps, immediately following those were memorials to French Resistance fighters (those are the graves that should have the kiss marks) and then memorials to the French Communist party.  Apparently, Edith Piaf's grave is right there, but I missed it thinking it was in section 7 instead of 97.  I didn't bother with Jim Morrison's grave, I'm not a Doors fan.

By the time I got to section 7, my feet were killing me.  It felt like blisters on the bottom of my feet, and between that and twisting my ankles on the cobblestones, I was ready to head for the hotel.  The walk back to the metro station was painful, but got only worse.  By the time I got off the last metro to walk to my hotel, I was walking like an old woman.   For those of you that have travelled with me before, I'm sure reading this brings you special joy.  The seemingly indefagitable Karen does have her limits!  I'm trying to post pictures, but they are taking a long time.  Internet time is precious, so I'll do what I can.


No comments: