Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Day 7 - Lyon - Avignon - Monte Carlo - Nice



Today was a long day, most of it in the coach. We left the hotel around 8 am and headed towards Avignon.  We had 2 hours in Avignon, which was not nearly enough time, since we needed to eat there as well.  After looking at the Palace of the Popes and the view from the top of the hill, I met up with two of the girls on the trip to eat lunch, we chose a sit down outdoor cafe.  Shortly after we sat down, the couple from Canada joined us.  We had a lovely visit, but ended up being late for the bus - and didn't get to visit the town.  That is too bad, because from what I could see from where we were sitting, it looked to be quite charming.

We then began the 5 hour tour to Monte Carlo.  The countryside was beautiful and the Nice/Canne area very mediterranean, with houses built on the hillsides and cliffs.  I spent quite a while talking with Olga, a woman from Australia whose family was originally from the Ukraine, moved to Germany during the war (I don't think voluntarily) and then moved to Australia after the war. I also sat in the back of the bus; they made me their representative for requests to the driver and tour director.  When we hit a lot of traffic and it looked like we might not get to spend much time in Monte Carlo, one woman asked me if I was a lobbyist as I was querying the riders on their preference and convincing others we needed more than 15 minutes outside the bus.  We ended up with 45 minutes to walk around the casino area.  Then back on the bus for the drive to our hotel and dinner in Nice.  As we arrived after 7pm, we went straight to the restaurant without checking in or freshening up. 

As much as I don't like Orange as a WAN provider in the states, their internet rates here are outstanding.  15euro for 10 hours (as opposed to 8euro for 30 minutes).  The only problem is in my room, I can't get a signal long enough to register, I'm typing this in the breakfast area.

1 comment:

Lisap said...
This comment has been removed by the author.